Rules of Engagement
The Jump/Cut Film Challenge is intended for play by legal residents and legal visitors of the United States. Any necessary documentation for team members must be made available to Jump/Cut and/or its partners and/or appropriate officials, if required.
The Jump/Cut Film Challenge and/or its presenters may add to or amend these rules at any time prior to the beginning of the Official Time Period.
1) Eligibility The Team Leader must be a legal resident or legal visitor of the United States. The following are not eligible: employees, city producers, contractors, directors and officers of Jump/Cut Film Challenge (“Jump/Cut”), its presenters, sponsors, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Challenge agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Event (collectively, “Event Parties”), and the immediate family members of each (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living within their households (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least 3 months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Challenge).
2) To Enter Registration is open to any qualifying team and final selection of “Official Teams” is drawn at random by an independent entity. The Challenge is limited to 12 teams.
How to Enter
Pay your team’s $25 application fee through the official site at www.JumpCutChallenge.com; by check made payable to Ocala Film Foundation – mailed to the following address or delivered in person to Angie Lewis State Farm, at the following address (to be supplemented by the additional participation fee if/when a team is selected for the Project).
Applications for the 2017 Jump/Cut Film Challenge will be available January 1, 2017. All applications must be submitted by 12:00 PM on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 and selected participants will be notified on, or about, Friday, February 17, 2017.
Documents Required To Enter:
2017 Jump/Cut Film Challenge Application (online submission only)
2017 Participant Agreement (online submission only)
How to Submit Your Entry Fee
Submit directly through the official site at www.JumpCutChallenge.com:
Silver Springs International Film Festival 3512
East Silver Springs Boulevard,
#246 Ocala FL 34470
Angie Lewis State Farm
416 East Fort King Street
Ocala, FL 34471
Please be advised that the application fees are non-refundable. Once accepted into the Challenge, each team will be required to pay a supplemental participation fee, in the following applicable amount:
$75 for current students
$125 for all other teams
Applicants must be 18 years or older (unless you are applying through one of the three options for High School Teams listed below) Each member of the accepted team will also be required to submit a Participant’s Agreement. If you have questions about the 2017 Jump/Cut Film Challenge or our application process, please contact (email address).
3. Refund Policy All registration fees ($25.00) are non-refundable. If an Official Challenge Team must withdraw from the competition their Participation Fee ($75.00 for students; $125 for non-students) will be refunded if the team withdraws in writing no less than 14 days (March 1st, 2017) in advance of the Event. Your withdrawal must be received by 5pm on March 1st, 2017 to be eligible for a refund – will notify you upon receipt. Refunds will be issued within 30 days of receipt of a team’s official withdrawal. No other refunds will be made.
4. Participation of Minors Some events, i.e. the Kickoff, Wrap Party, will be held in Restaurant/Bar settings without age limits. Jump/Cut and its Presenters encourage all participants and supporters to attend and participate, but cannot provide chaperones/official supervision for any attendee/participant at any/all of the Challenge events. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to accompany minors to any/all Challenge events.
Teams of high school students may apply/participate with a DEDICATED ADULT SPONSOR. High School teams are required to provide a dedicated adult sponsor/chaperone to supervise the team throughout the 72 hour filmmaking competition. All prospective high school teams and their adult chaperone must gain pre-approval by a Jump/Cut staff member to apply – before submitting their application. To gain pre-approval, email Jump-CutInfo@SpringsFilmFest.com with “Approval Request” in the Subject line. You will receive a response from a Jump/Cut official – please enter their name in the on-line submission form in the appropriate field.
i.) Please note, adult chaperones of high school teams must:
ii.) Be at least 25 years old
iii.) Be present to supervise the team in person during the entire 72-hour filmmaking competition at all times, day and night!
iv.) Coordinate and/or provide transportation for all team members
v.) Be knowledgeable of the areas in which the students are filming – filmmaking experience is a plus.
6) Team Agreement All Teams must sign a Team Agreement. If a Team Leader is not the Adult Chaperone of a High School Team and the Team Leader is under the age of 18, that team leader’s parent or legal guardian must sign in addition to the Team Leader. (Team Agreement is available on our website.)
All participants must agree with, and adhere to, the Team Agreement, which outlines the rights of the Team and Jump/Cut and its Presenters regarding the use of Official Challenge Films by Jump/Cut. Entries that do not include all required information and/or do not adhere to the preceding and following requirements will be considered void and will not be included/screened in the Jump/Cut Film Challenge.
7) Production Costs All costs associated with the production of any/all Jump/Cut Film Challenge films – completed/or not; “in competition”/or not; compliant with all Challenge requirements/or not – are solely the responsibility of the producing Team and its members/representatives.
8) Awards Consideration Only Qualifying Submissions will be evaluated for awards consideration by our judges. Qualifying Submissions will be judged by a process in which a qualified panel of judges, including but not limited to the Challenge Mentors will evaluate the eligible entries based on the following criteria:
- Artistic Achievement – writing, performances, creativity and entertainment value
- Technical Achievement – cinematography, lighting, sound, editing
- Adherence to Challenge Rules/Requirements
Audience Choice Award All films are eligible for the Audience Choice Award, which is determined by audience ballot at the Jump/Cut Screening.
9) Mandatory Event Attendance Each Official Team and/or their Team Leader must be present at the designated times at the Kick-off and Drop-off Events to participate.
10) Basic Requirements of the Project Entrants must adhere to the official Jump/Cut Film Challenge Rules. At the Kick-off Event, Teams will receive a genre assignment, along with obligatory requirements, and be given exactly 72 hours to complete their submission. All submissions must arrive – completed according to the Challenge terms and requirements – at the designated time and location.
11) Terms of Submission By submitting an Entry for the Jump/Cut Film Challenge, each Entrant implies and ensures that the Entrant owns all rights to all properties – intellectual and tangible – he/she creates, utilizes and enters in the Challenge, including, without limitation, the video or digital recording, and all performances contained in each Entry, with the exception of any assets provided by the Challenge for use by Entrants in connection with this event. Each Entrant further warrants and represents that the Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry to grant the rights to the Challenge and its presenters described in the Official Rules, and will submit copies of such permissions to the Jump/Cut Film Challenge and its presenters. By submitting an Entry, Entrant agrees to the Official Rules, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the Jump/Cut Film Challenge, its presenters, sponsors and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees – collectively, the Jump/Cut Indemnitees, harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable legal fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Jump/Cut Indemnitees due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Entry materials in the Challenge, or the Entrant’s conduct during and in connection with this Event, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless Jump/Cut Film Challenge and the Event Parties from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of Jump/Cut or the Event Parties infringes on the rights of Entrant’s work as contained in any Entry.
12) Designated Team Leader Any group of individuals who choose to collaborate on an Entry must designate one (1) person as the agent of the group to enter the Jump/Cut Film Challenge, agree to the Official Rules, sign the Team Leader’s Agreement and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither the Jump/Cut Film Challenge nor any of the Event Parties are liable for any disputes between collaborators arising out of or related to the Project.
13) General Conditions By participating, all Challenge Participants agree to the Official Rules, in their entirety and without exception, which are final and binding in all respects. The Jump/Cut Film Challenge is governed by the laws of the State of Florida, USA, and all claims must be resolved in the District of Columbia courts or the Federal courts located in Marion County, FL.
14) Limitations of Liability and Release No liability or responsibility is assumed by the Challenge or any Presenting Partners resulting from any user’s participation in or attempt to participate in the Jump/Cut Film Challenge or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with their participation in the Event. No responsibility or liability is assumed by Jump/Cut or any Presenting Partners for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the exhibition of the Submission: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Submission, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Project, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Submission. Jump/Cut, its Presenters and Presenting Partners are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or the Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site or social media sites maintained by the Jump/Cut Film Challenge, Silver Springs International Film Festival or Ocala Film Foundation. Use of Web Site and the Jump/Cut’s social media sites is at user’s own risk. Jump/Cut and the Presenting Partners are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to user’s or any other person’s computer equipment resulting from participation in the Event, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. By participating in the Event, Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold the Jump/Cut Film Challenge and its Presenting Partners harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant’s participation in the Challenge.
19. Winners Winners will be posted online at www.JumpCutChallenge.com.
20. Project Organizers Silver Springs International Film Festival & Ocala Film Foundation 3512 East Silver Springs Boulevard, #246 Ocala, FL 34470
• Video Codec: any native Final Cut Pro Codec, any native Premiere Codec, Apple ProRES , Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
• Media: Data DVD, Playable DVD, USB Thumb Drive
• File Type: MPEG 4 (.m4v), MPEG 4 (.mp4), Quicktime (.mov)
• Resolution: HD 1080 (1920×1080), SD
• Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)
• Pixel Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)
• Frame Rate: 24 FPS (23.976), 25 FPS, 24 FPS
• Interlacing: Progressive / NON-Interlaced
• Audio Codec: WAV (.wav), MPEG4 (.mp4), MPEG3 (.mp3)
• Audio Bit Rate: 128 kbps, 192 kbps, 256 kbps
• Audio Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
• Maximum File Size: 9.0GB